I rolled into the new year fighting a head cold...yes it that time of year too :( This damp cold weather definitely doesn't help!
You know what hits the spot when you're feeling under the weather? A nice big bowl of steaming chicken soup, made from chicken stock!
I made a big crock pot of chicken soup for New Year's Eve lunch with Lauren's family, and my sister-in-law said "Hmmm this smells healthy!" She was right! Using chicken stock as a base for your soup is just the best.
We have chicken stock made from our own chicken bones available in 1 L and 1/2 L containers. Come on over to the farm shop and grab some or order online! It's always handy to have it tucked away for when you need it.
Chicken Stock Soup Recipe
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 1-2 celery stocks, roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 ground thyme
- 1 tsp fresh chopped rosemary (optional)
- 1 L BirdHouse Farm Chicken Stock
- 1 lb BirdHouse Farm chicken breasts or thighs
- Salt & Black pepper to taste
- Soup noodles (to desired thickness) or couscous (1/2 - 3/4 cup)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- Heat oil over medium heat in a dutch oven or pot. Add garlic, onion, carrots and celery and cook until onion is translucent.
- Add in your spices (ginger, tumeric, thyme, rosemary), stirring while cooking for a bit.
- Add the chicken stock, chicken breasts or thighs, and noodles or couscous. Bring to a boil and cook for 20-30 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Ensure that the chicken breasts/thighs are covered by stock. Remove chicken breasts/thighs and shred with 2 forks. Transfer shredded chicken back to the pan.
- Add the frozen peas if desired.
- Taste and season with salt/pepper as needed.
- You can always add more stock if you want your soup more liquidy!